Hurricane Harvey and Other Apocalyptic Nightmares
September 4, 2017
Co-Chair of the Green Party of Florida
Led Zeppelin asked in their classic song – “How Many More Times?” As a Green since 1996 and an Independent since 1972, I also am asking this question. I’ll even throw in a dab of Jr. Walker and The All-stars and say “What Does it Take?”
Greens have formed since the 80’s, when it was very clear to those who started the party that the trends in our country (and the world) were heading in the wrong direction. We are a worldwide party, by the way.
Greens are often asked to be everything to everyone, or else the support veers back to the terrible 2 corporate parties. When it comes to the environment, though, I think that’s one place where almost every person could agree that we have stood on the side of preserving a clean and safe planet.
Other parties feel like they are on the cutting edge when their elected leaders actually come out with the words “climate change”. Meanwhile, Greens have been aware of and following the science put forth by the people who have known that it was yes happening and yes accelerated by human activity. They base these facts on years of their life’s work. These people are called: climatologists.
Greens know that “clean coal” is a figment of some marketers imagination. We know that tar sands oil needs to be left undisturbed in the soil. We know that fuel efficiency has been bandied about for nearly 50 years in DC and Detroit and that the USA falls behind Europe (and even China) in standards for that. Greens have offered many solutions that would give people sustainable jobs and keep our ecology running smoothly. All of that has been outlined in our Green Party platform and Green New Deal for years!
People ask me – why don’t more people know about it?
I would offer that it’s because of the same old tactics that have been perpetrated on citizens of our country and of any other country that would listen. Examples of how disinformation works abound if one cares to look. The tobacco industry’s spin of denial, Big Sugar subsidized to be allowed to cause an unhealthy addiction in our children, the push back on auto safety, corporations rights to not disclose, Wall Street over taking savings banks, iffy reasons for wars and on and on. Too overwhelmed? Take this pill. Too underwhelmed? Take that pill. Advertise. Advertise. Advertise. Then our info comes spoon fed out in safe and completely researched little sound bytes. If you can read this whole piece – congrats – feel great that you can still focus that long.
The corporate run media is out to stay in business and they must do these two things:
1) Produce products that people want to see such as – a hit mini series, talk shows and of course “reality” TV. Known in the business as “buying our eyes”.
2) Make money from the sponsors so they can show those programs of news, disinformation and good old distracting entertainment.
Turns out, Americans prefer to be entertained than informed of facts that may be not fun and even worse – they could be disturbing facts.
So the 12 year old in us falls easy prey to the market. We want more, we have more, we never feel fulfilled even with free home delivery. It’s all paid for by the same companies that join in this vicious cycle of pumped up value and non-disclosure of potential dangers.
With the ever growing amounts of money in all elections, our elected mis-leaders fear telling the real truth, because they might offend a potential or current campaign donor. When faced with doing the right thing, they either blatantly side with the money (Republicans) or apparently they are waiting for a better day when they can really speak truth to power, even though that day has never seemed to come (Democrats).
The spin most folks hear on Greens (if they even hear about us at all) will be designed by highly paid think tanks to divide and conquer any support for a party with our best interests as their goal and no strings attached. Their trolls come out to use the following ploys wherever necessary:
1) Greens are too “out there” for the main stream, but not enough if you ask certain anarchists or hard line Communists, etc.
2) Greens are caught in a catch 22 – We don’t take any dark money, special interest PAC funds or dark money in elections. Therefore, so they say, we can’t compete against that money and can never win. If we go ahead and take that money we would not be able to have the objectivity that is needed to lead.
3) Our ideas are “not practical”, even though they are working great in other countries – that’s not disclosed, of course.
4) We are scapegoated as that big reason that the Democrats loose, but still not significant enough to get into the debates.
5) We can’t get into the debates, unless we poll at 15% or higher. Which would be hard to have happen, as there is an enforced policy of not mentioning us as an option – even when were one of only 4 parties in the whole country to have had the electoral votes to win the presidency in 2016. This is also rather shocking when you consider that 14 Republicans got national debate TV air time in a two tiered schedule. It’s a fairly safe bet that even Paul Ryan could not name those 14 – if asked point blank.
6) So we don’t seem to be able do enough, or win, because we have been suppressed to not be heard from.
7) Everyone wants a “3rd party” but just not this important election – wait until….
8) People who have had enough of all that are urged to say “let’s start a new party!” They say this without realizing how very hard it is to go out and start a unified national party. Whereas, Greens have developed over the years, nearly 35 and counting.
9) Greens want too much, but not enough – and yet maybe someday….
All these reasons to either ignore us, fight against us or put off support buys time for those who are profiting off the exploitation of our masses and loses time for the rest of us on crucial issues.
Weirdly the end result of all this indoctrination is that, instead of doubting the failed and (at best) under performing leadership that we have been getting from the same old 2 parties, we are programmed to doubt trying something new!
We have been taught to keep our expectations of government really low. It’s great to register No Party Affiliated or Independent to show the distaste for these 2 parties that are shoved down our throats, but not if you end up voting for either of them or not voting! If our votes did not matter, they would not spend so much time and money to seduce our votes towards them alone. Why should we be giving them ever widening chances to get worse and then beyond worse?
Despite the hampering from the powers that be, Greens are the only truly progressive party to have achieved a national presence in electoral politics.
Greens have grown with the times, while the other parties pretend that everything is the way it must be.
Greens have had solutions and worked to form new solutions, as time moves on.
Our candidate for president in 2016 (Jill Stein) was the only candidate for that office to bother to go to the Paris Climate talks! The rest just shook in their boots, afraid that they might rock the donation boat.
Bottom line is: It’s up to you to step up and support us. Waiting until the fixable becomes un-fixable (even by Greens with the best intentions) is not good strategy.
We just can’t keep having these disasters shatter people’s lives and leave no one accountable.
Give Greens a chance, rather than sitting home on election day shaking your head in disgust – again. Vote, Vote clean and vote Green. If you are able to register Green in your state (and Floridians can) then that is also great support.
As Jill Stein says: It’s in your hands.
As I say: WHEN will it be the right time?
Greens are the party for the rest of us and the time is NOW