The Green Party of Florida recommends the following response to the upcoming House and Senate proposed bills in whatever method or methods you can best manage :
1) People can visit locally now until March 6th and locals and/or individuals should endeavor to contact their legislators about these current bills via phone emails or post a letter in the mail. Calls are the easiest. Emails are recorded I suppose, but actual written letters have to be kept on file.
2) Attend town meetings.
3) Meeting in small groups of 2 -6 people with the elected rep (or their aides) with a good speaker to bring up the wishes and one other to take notes on the response.
4) Be vocal with social media and other areas where you communicate at work, school, etc.
5) Be sure to register to vote and urge others to do the same. If our votes did not matter they would not spend so much to try and buy them or suppress them.
6) The session starts March 7th, so join a coalition (or go as united Greens) and lobby in Tallahassee.
7) The Senate is identified as the primary focus, as there are new senators and less senators to lobby. If we can block bills with this group, the bills will not pass into law, even if the whole house votes yes for them.
Strongly suggest that we bring back the Intangible Tax here on Florida which is a tax on EXCESS wealth (it was abolished under Gov. Jeb Bush)
Push for the implementation of SB90 which is the Solar Tax exemption.
Bills we support:
HB 451/SB 442 Fracking ban – of course!!
HB 387/SB 458 Create a Criminal Justice Task Force.
HB51/SN 270 and HB53 /SB 934 – Ex – felon Voting Rights Restoration
HB93/SB 162 Ban plastic bags in coastal communities of 100,000 or less – it’s a start!
HB 319/SB 410 Equal and fair pay for all genders.
HB623/SB 666 No discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Bills we Oppose:
HB 17 (no Senate Bill – which is good!) Destruction of grassroots control – this bill weakens local government’s ability to regulate !
HB 697/ SB Bans sanctuary cities for immigrants.
SB 622 Guns on campuses (no house bill which is good)
HB 351/ SB 478 Secrecy Act which by passes the Sunshine Law
HB 373/ SB 856 Unfair to the best teachers.
HB 11 (no Senate Bill ) HB 599 and SB 534 These bills weaken unions – which, of course, we need for living wages and benefits.
HB 819/SB 610 Punishes businesses for making safety choice about guns on their property.
For more information on these bills and any others, visit MyFlorida.Com and put the bill number into the search at the top left of the page.
Note HB = House Bill and SB + Senate Bill
In addition, there will be a statewide citizens’ lobby day (March 21-22) to support a ban on fracking and to protect water and restore the Everglades, as well as to push enforcement of clean energy Amendment 4 that passed last August.